Many people have this question in their minds that what to do with their computer science degree or why to get degree in computer science. Here we are going to discuss career options for computer science graduates. This article is going to provide a career guide for computer science graduates. It also answers everything related to such confusions or dilemma.
We shall understand the complete picture point-wise as follows:
Scope of CS
- Digital India is the biggest catalyst here. Almost everything is moving towards digitization, which opens enormous opportunities for computer science engineers.
- Voice controlled devices.
- Advertising nowadays has completely changed. You search something on Google and you will start getting ads related to that thing everywhere. This is because of deep learning.
- NLP: Text to speech, speech to text, voice controlled devices, voice based search etc. are possible due to advancements in natural language processing (NLP). Many companies are working on projects based on NLP.
- Image Processing.
- Digital Banking
Courses/Branches of study –
- Normal computer science engineer
- Machine learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Sciences
- Wireless Sensor network,
- Cyber Security,
- Cryptography etc.
- Social Network Analysis
- Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- Central Universities
- State Universities
- Local engineering colleges.
Ways of getting jobs on campus
In Campus Drive
Where the companies visit to the campus to recruit students of final year.
Eligibility: First division without any backlog. In Campus companies may ask for higher percentage.
Recruitment Process: Written test includes quant, reasoning and technical (programming languages). Followed by interview technical/HR.
How to prepare: In campus recruitment, first challenge is to go through the written test. A rigorous preparation should be done for written test. Most of the times, companies declare what they are going to ask. Prepare according to that. Quantitative aptitude, verbal and non-verbal reasoning are most essential part of preparation for written test. MCQs of programming languages like C, Java and Python are also commonly asked. For interview, prepare at least two core subjects and one programming language. Minor and major projects play vital role in interviews so one must be in position to take in-depth questions on minor and major projects.
Online Recruitment Drives
Many companies now have started hiring using online coding contests like HackWithInfy, InfyTQ, TCS CodeVita, Google CodeJam, Facebook Hackerup, ACM-ICPC, Codegladiators, SnackDown, Smart India Hackathon etc.
Eligibility: Successfully completed 3rd year and in final year. Backlogs are not considered but should be all clear at the time of joining.
Recruitment Process: Logic based coding rounds. Problems are framed around real world stories and require strong understanding of time and space optimization techniques, good knowledge of algorithm design approaches etc. One or two coding rounds are there, before the interview. Interviews are also very detailed and in-depth. Aspirants must focus on data structures and algorithms in a great detail to get through these interviews. Package and job profile are generally higher in such drives.
By applying directly in the company.
- All clear degree.
- Completion is high and the companies are very choosy.
- Company specifies the skill set which must be fulfilled by the candidate.
- The written test and the interview are mostly focused on the job profile.
- Hardest as compared to above two.
There are several job profile which require higher degrees and specific knowledge sets. For example, data analytics is a field where companies working in this area prefer post graduate or Ph. D. candidate in some cases. Another such field is deep learning. Very big companies like Google, IBM, Xerox, Facebook etc. are the key players in such fields. These companies are running research labs and innovation centers. A candidate can opt for higher studies and acquire the required skill set. Better job opportunities will be available at his/her doorstep.
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Computer Network Architect
- Web Developer
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- IT Project Manager
- Application analyst
- Applications developer
- Cyber security analyst
- Data analyst
- Database administrator
- Forensic computer analyst
- Game designer
- Games developer
- Information systems manager
- IT consultant
- Software engineer
- Systems analyst
- UX designer
- Web designer
- Web developer
For any further help or clarification leave a comment bellow.